11/26/09

Thankfulness, Giving Thanks and that "Sacrifice" of Praise, some encouraging words from the Bible in this post.

Well, this is so good. Last week at church part of the teaching was on "Learning" to be content. The scripture about contentment that we're always measuring up to mentally, when we decide to give ourselves a spiritual check-up, nearly always boils down to how am I doing in the faith department, how am I at trusting - with all this chaos around me? The scripture gives an example of a Godly man who is content in prison (imagine the conditions around him in Bible times).

Philippians 4:12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Then yesterday I received an email with this encouraging devotion, that was written in 1934 -

PRAISE CHANGES THINGS by Mrs. Chas. E. Cowman ­ November 24, 1934 ... We found that prayer and praise are the two wings that mount the soul upwards to God. Prayer asks, praise takes, or brings the answer.

I fancy that someone is saying right here, "I have prayed, but I do
not feel like praising God. Praise in the valley of the shadow? Praise when my heart is bleeding and torn? Tell me rather to weep! How can I praise God at such a time?" "Sacrifice ... the sacrifice of thanksgiving" is to praise God when you are depressed and despondent, when your life is covered with thick clouds and darkness, for it is acceptable to God, a "sweet smelling savor to your Lord and King."

While we are admonished to
"pray without ceasing," are we not also commanded to "rejoice evermore"? "This is the will of God concerning you." ... Praise has a wonderful lifting power, and we need not be anxious about the outcome of things if we will take the attitude of deliverance and begin to praise. ... Try thanksgiving. Praise changes things. Printed in the Pentecostal Evangel

Hebrews 13:14-16 14For here we do not have an enduring city, but we are looking for the city that is to come.


15Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name. 16And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.

Not only is contentment something we have to LEARN TO EXPERIENCE, but praising God when we don't feel like it and/or want to, is what pleases God. That's faith my friends, have faith in the midst - not when you got the answer to prayer!! Praise him at all times.

I'm having my own personal revival here ... join me if you like!

Larry and Stephanie you are in my prayers as you face this your first major holiday without your Angel. It wasn't supposed to be like this but God knows and may his sheltering arms carry you this next month as you process His love.

No comments:

You can buy this poster.