3/28/10

Converting Knitting Patterns - Color Outside the Lines and Creative Freedom in my knitting.

Coloring outside the lines gives me freedom I didn't have as a kid.

When I was in elementary school I actually won an Art Scholarship (based on a painting that everyone in the class had to paint - a still of fruit on a table). The classes were at John Herron in Indianapolis. I was in 6th grade, took the city bus downtown by myself on Saturdays during summer vacation. But, I had to do every step by the book, their book. Even had a live nude model. I don't remember fighting the program, I was a very compliant kid, but I also don't remember being very creative as a result. The last several years I have allowed myself the freedom to make mistakes, do a search on this blog for "Fear of Failure" posts...blogging has actually help me document my progress tackling this fear!


Click on the Picture.

I simply cannot follow a pattern like a person is supposed to do. Take for instance a really cute purse pattern I got for Christmas from my d-i-l. It ends up being a round bag, 10 pie shape panels per side with a strap that also serves as a base and sides all around the bag. It is very cute, but the pattern calls for a very specific yarn, and tells you the size the finished project will be, etc., etc.

I decided to use much bigger needles, hold a strand of wool blend and a strand of 100% wool yarn together to make the bag, much larger than the pattern calls for and felt it. What is it with felting? It's like no project is finished without going that step. The bag calls for a lining, but with felting, it really isn't necessary.

Oh, yeah, I also have a great idea for "lining" but that is another post. (It includes a pocket.)

So in saying all that, I found a pretty helpful web page, about conversions of knitting patterns. More CREATIVE FREEDOM coming my way.

CONVERTING KNITTING PATTERNS - BEING CREATIVE

Pretty interesting site.

No comments:

You can buy this poster.