4/23/09

First Knit Project - What should I knit when I'm first learning?

A great website for learning to Knit:

www.knittinghelp.com

They have great videos for every step.

Some of my personal tips for your first project.

Learn to roll your yarn into a ball.

Buy straight needles about size 11, or 13 These make larger stitches and help you see your stitches as you go.

Buy yarn that is not twisted, fluffy or furry. Just plain worsted weight yarn for the first project. All one color and a light color will help you see the stitches.

After learning to cast-on, see video on knitting help dot com, you are ready for the first knit stitch. Getting comfortable holding the yarn, the two needles and deciding if you'll use your right hand or left hand to "feed" the yarn is probably the biggest decision, but you may not settle on one or the other until you've knit for awhile.

Knitting every row keeps your piece flat. You'll learn to do the steps and start relaxing a little and notice that the item is changing shape, oops. You'll want to call this practice and pull it out and rewind the yarn onto the ball and start over, everyone starts over sometime. I just finished a major project, about 2/3 through the project I had to tear out 1/2 of it and start over, so glad I did. I couldn't have hidden the errors I made, and it would be in the back of the closet in a WalMart bag to this day instead of on the prettiest little two-year-old you've ever seen.

HOW TO MAKE A BALL OF YARN

http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

This link will help you learn garter stitch which is knitting every row.

The easiest thing to knit is a scarf or table runner. Find free patterns at some of these websites.

www.knittingpatterncentral.com
www.knittingonthenet.com
www.lionbrand.com
www.patonsyarns.com

just to name a few

I suggest you cast on about 20 stitches, knit every row for about 3 or 4 inches, then practice taking the stitches back off of the needles, to get familiar with the process of backing up to fix a "dropped" stitch.

When you are knitting, you are using one continuous strand of yarn and making loops with it to keep it permanently attached to itself for a garment or decoration. It will hold up for years, unless you "drop" (skip) a stitch, it will all come apart if you miss one.
Learning how to back-up or work your way down to a dropped stitch will save you from tearing out a piece and starting over.

Knitting is so relaxing once you've mastered two basic stitches, Knit and Purl.

I make purses and sell them (or give them away as gifts). A purse is made by holding two strands of yarn together, knitting rows (like making a scarf) and making seams ... it really is a simple project once you've learned basic knitting. Baby sweaters, hats, gloves, are all more advanced principles of the basic knit stitch. When I finish the knit project, I felt the item. Search felt or felting on my blog for simple instructions.

I know that if I can knit - so can you.

I'd love to coach you, if you have any questions.

me-

No comments:

You can buy this poster.